Although hair loss is a common condition, many people are unaware of the way that a new treatment can help restore hair. There are a lot of misconceptions floating around about hair loss and restoration, and in this article, Solano Plastic Surgery helps you sort fact from fiction.
The #1 Myth about Hair Loss
Most people are resigned to the fact that hair loss is forever and nothing can be done about it. Patients who visit Solano to talk about thinning hair come to our practice hoping for the best, but secretly fear the worst. Their fear turns to delight when they learn that we have a revolutionary new solution to help them.
What’s fascinating about hair loss, especially in men, is that not all hairs are affected by male pattern baldness. A hair at the back of the head often does not fall out, unlike the hair on the top of the head. If a hair follicle is moved i.e. transplanted, from the back of the head, to the top, it will live for as long in it’s new location as it would have in it’s original location – which might be for decades!
More Myths about Hair Loss
Some myths about hair loss have to do with lifestyle:
- Washing your hair too often makes it fall out – Unless you’re running a comb or brush through wet hair and breaking off tangled strands, shampooing just washes away hair that’s already come loose from your scalp, including dead hairs at the end of their natural cycle.
- Stress is causing your hair to fall out – It’s long been a myth that the pressures of everyday life cause teleogen effluvium, a hair loss condition due to stress. In truth, however, researchers say that stress, except for major psychological distress, is unlikely to affect your hair.
In men, the most common cause of male pattern baldness is genetic – it’s a hormonal condition, which can be prevented through the use of some medications. However, it’s important to note, the regrown (if any) with these medication is modest and only experienced by some patients. Primarily these drugs can only prevent the hair loss from getting worse and only work while the man is taking the medications.
Another myth about hair loss has to do with vitamin supplements:
- Nutritional supplements can regrow hair – A hair restoration pill is a wonderful idea, but to date, there isn’t any convincing scientific research to support this claim.
And that’s the truth!
That solution is Neograft, an automated hair transplant system that provides a head full of your own luscious hair.
Fast Facts About Neograft:
- It’s more affordable than traditional hair-replacement techniques, putting it within reach of more people.
- It can be performed without a hospital stay and the expenses related to an overnight in hospital.
- It can be performed without general anaesthesia, so patients are at less risk for complications.
- It requires no stiches or staples, so there is no scarring and patients have the option to wear short hairstyles.
- It has a shorter downtime/recovery period than traditional approaches, helping patients get back to the business of life sooner—in as little as 24 hours.
Neograft is considered a game changer in hair restoration. With it, our doctors are able to harvest hair follicles with more accuracy and speed than ever before.
Get Better Hair at Solano Plastic Surgery
If thinning hair is stealing your confidence, ageing you unnecessarily, and making you unhappy, please contact Solano Plastic Surgery on (707) 448 3436 or send us an email and schedule a visit to our friendly, welcoming practice where hair restoration is always in style.