At Solano Plastic Surgery, everything we do is aimed to help individuals bring their outer appearance into harmony with their inner self. Nowhere is this dedication more in evidence than in the set of body contouring and facial redefining procedures we offer to our transgender patients. Dr Brian Klink and Dr Jonathan Sykes bring decades of experience to this delicate, highly individualized process.
Solano Plastic Surgery was established to provide exceptional plastic surgery in a caring, intimate setting within Solano County. We offer a spectrum of feminization surgery and body contouring to help patients who are suffering from
- Physical dysphoria – a strong discomfort with mis-matched identity and body.
- Social dysphoria – a strong discomfort with how other people perceive them.
Patients who visit Solano Plastic Surgery interested in feminization surgery include not just transsexuals, but also individuals assigned male at birth but who identify as female, feminine, or a woman some or all of the time. Depending on where they are in the journey and what their feminization goals may be, a patient can choose from a broad spectrum of male-to-female transition procedures. Our only goal is to make each transgender individual comfortable in her own skin.
Anatomically speaking, there are many differences between a man’s and a woman’s face:
- Men have longer faces than women.
- Male foreheads have a more prominent bone ridge than women.
- Men’s jaws tend to be square, while women’s chins are round or pointed.
Facial feminization describes a set of surgical and non-surgical procedures that address these differences. At Solano Plastic Surgery, they are performed by Dr Jonathan Sykes. With more than 20 years’ experience and 10,000 procedures to his credit, Dr Sykes brings surpassed diagnostic skills, surgical expertise, and aesthetic sensitivity to facial feminization. Key to Dr Sykes’ approach is his desire to help each patient become her true self, not create an entirely different person. He takes the time to get to know all his patients as the unique individuals they are, from both an anatomical and emotional perspective. During extensive one-on-one consultations, Dr Sykes learns about patients’ health, goals, and lifestyle to determine which of the following facial feminization surgeries may be appropriate:
- Forehead recontouring – reduces the horizontal ridge of bone that typically runs across a man’s forehead, creating the smoother, flatter brow associated with femininity.
- Endoscopic brow lift – corrects the position and shape of the eyebrows by raising the brows above the brow ridge.
- Cheek implants – implants of varying sizes and shapes may be placed to create a more forward projection of the cheeks and make them fuller.
- Rhinoplasty – makes the nose smaller and gives it a clear feminine outline and proportions, while taking into consideration that the result should match the whole facial frame.
- Jaw and chin contouring surgery – facial plastic surgery in the lower part of the face to reduce the prominence of the jaw to more feminine proportions.
- Lip lift – modifies the distance between the opening of the mouth and the base of the nose for more feminine proportions.
Procedures aimed at beautifying and rejuvenating the face may be performed at the same time as facial feminization surgeries. For example, an eyebrow lift can correct sagging lids and sunken eye sockets, while a neck lift (rhytidectomy) can erase ageing lines and wrinkles in the lower face.
At Solano Plastic Surgery, older transgender patients often choose to have a lower facelift after jaw and chin surgery because the reduction in bone and the effects of swelling can leave behind sagging skin.
Facial Feminization without Surgery
Solano Plastic Surgery also offers an extensive menu of facial enhancement treatments that do not require surgery to
· Soften fine lines and wrinkles for a youthful, feminine complexion.
· Re-contour and re-define the jaw line for a softer chin.
· Volumize under-eye hollows and sunken cheeks to restore the appearance of youth.
· Plump up thin lips to make them more feminine.
In the experienced hands of the team at Solano, cosmetic injectables including muscle relaxers and dermal fillers can subtly or dramatically change a transgender woman’s appearance, helping her achieve her individual feminization goals. A custom-tailored treatment plan may include one or a combination of injectables:
- Muscle relaxing injections – Dynamic facial wrinkles, especially those in the forehead area, are the result of repeated muscle action. Botox injections temporarily paralyze the muscles responsible for these wrinkles, helping the face to remain smooth and unlined. It is an effective treatment for forehead lines, crow’s feet and frown lines.
Botox does not correct static wrinkles caused by sun damage, ageing, and gravity.
- Dermal Fillers – Transgender women who prefer to avoid a surgically invasive procedure find cosmetic fillers to be an ideal compromise. Injectable fillers use a wide variety of materials to produce a broad spectrum of results in terms of longevity and effects.
We are well versed in a patient’s options and make our recommendations based on an individual’s anatomy and enhancement goals. Fillers can be divided into
two types: temporary and semi-permanent.
- Temporary fillers use collagen, hyaluronic acid, calcium hydroxyapatite, or polylactic acid to achieve different enhancement goals. Even the body’s own fat may serve as filler. The fillers dissolve over time and are naturally removed by the body.
- Semi-permanent fillers use Polymethylmethacrylate beads to treat medium-to-deep wrinkles, folds and furrows, particularly nasolabial folds. The substance does not naturally degrade.
Temporary fillers most commonly used at Solano Plastic Surgery for facial feminization are:
Facial Feminization Help for Eyebrows
Eyebrows are a distinctive feature that may be a problem for transgender women who feel their brows are too masculine. Eyebrow restoration with NeoGraft can create a more arched, sometimes fuller brow that transforms the eye region into something more feminine. Dr Sykes and Dr Klink pay particular attention to the direction and angle of the recipient sites to ensure the most natural looking results.
Feminization: Breast and Body Surgery
Breast augmentation is often the first surgical step transgender women choose in their physical transformation. Thanks to advancements in materials, textures, and shapes, patients have more options than ever for achieving their personal feminization goals. Dr Brian Klink consults with patients in depth to help them understand all their choices.
Two of the most commonly requested feminization body procedures at Solano Plastic Surgery beyond breast enhancement:
- Abdominoplasty/Tummy Tuck – a body contouring procedure that removes excess skin and fat from the abdominal area, creating a trimmer, more feminine waistline.
- Laser Assisted Body Sculpting – a procedure that eliminates unwanted fat from localized areas of the body. At Solano Plastic Surgery, we have the SlimLipo Body Sculpting Laser by Palomar. It is a laser-assisted lipolysis device that quickly and effectively removes fat in a procedure less invasive than traditional liposuction.
In some instances, Dr Klink is able to perform cosmetic procedures at the same time as breast augmentation. Choosing to combine two or more procedures in the same surgical session can reduce costs related to surgery and ultimately shorten recovery time.
Facial Feminization Surgery & Body Contouring
If you would like to know more about how Dr Brian Klink and Dr Jonathan Sykes can help sculpt your face and body, please contact Solano Plastic Surgery on
(707) 448 3436 or send us an email to schedule a visit to our friendly, welcoming practice.